If you have read our page on how to get pregnant, you may have discovered that one of the problems facing a couple’s ability to conceive is being overweight.
By staying in good shape and trying to eat well, you and your partner have the best chance at having a baby. Here are some healthy diet tips to help you lose weight and improve your chances of falling pregnant.
- Eat lean protein at each meal (i.e. chicken).
- Reduce flour-based products such as bread, white rice and pasta.
- Eliminate alcohol (most are high in sugar). This is good preparation for when you are pregnant.
- Reduce or eliminate dairy.
- Drink plenty of water. At least 8 x 200ml glasses a day. Remember every cell in the body needs adequate water to function; this also applies to your ovaries and uterus.
- Increase fiber intake (i.e. fresh fruit and vegetables).
- Make health and well being your goal, don’t focus on the weight loss aspect – it will automatically follow.
- Eat the right low glycemic fruits, such as cherries, plums, grapefruit, peaches, peach (canned in natural juice), apples, pears, dried apricots, grapes, fresh coconut, kiwi fruit, oranges, strawberries, prunes.
Eliminate Unhealthy Foods From Your Diet
In addition to eating the right healthy foods, it’s important to eliminate the following processed foods and beverages:
- Baking goods including white flour, white rice, salt, baking powder, bread, macaroni, pasta, cakes, cake mixes, pies, pie crust mixes, cookies
- Confections such as white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, rice syrup, honey (unless raw), syrups, candies, soft candies, pudding, dessert mixes, ice cream, frozen desserts, whipped cream, chocolate, marshmallows, shredded coconut
- Processed vegetables like canned vegetables, frozen vegetables, french fries
- Drinks such as soft drinks, fruit drinks, instant breakfast drinks
- Processed fruits including canned fruit, frozen fruit, fruit sauces, jellies, jams, pie fillings, fruit juice
- Processed fats and oils: refined oils, cooking spray, margarine, salad dressing, BBQ sauce, mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, peanut butter
- Convenience foods including pizza, pre-cooked foods, frozen dinners, breakfast cereal, granola, energy bars
- Processed dairy foods: cheese, cheese food, milk (homogenized, pasteurized, skim, low-fat, etc.)
- Processed meats like canned meat, cured meat, ham, lunch meat, sausage, bacon
- Gelatins and fresh meat with additives
There is no magic pill that will make you shed the weight. Good old fashioned exercise and attention to a good quality diet are the keys to success.
There are many paths to weight control – think about what you think will suit your personality type. You might find the support of a group like Weight Watchers helps you or you might prefer the individualized help of a dietician or personal trainer.
You may also enjoy watching and listening to clinic director Denise Donati’s video for further fertility diet tips.